WEEK 5 MEDIA BLOG FORUM:

TOPIC 1:
The first thing I found interesting and most definitely alarming while watching A remix manifesto was the copyright with songs. I believe there are many different kinds of artists and each one comes with a different kind of audience. For example even if one samples a single note from a copyright owners song they would have grounds for a lawsuit. Let me put it this way. If someone had the copyright of an high five and someone else made a epic handshake with there friend that had an high five in it the person with that copyright of the high five would have grounds for a lawsuit. This is absurd. People have been one this earth for hundreds and thousands of years so the chance of artist or in fact anyone being inspired by someone else and building something off it is incredibly high. And according the the A Remix Manifesto the people at Due "Sampling even a single note are grounds for a lawsuit."

Even Walt Disney himself took ideas from different artist and made them his own. And then he sued anyone that tried doing that to him. For instance he stole steamboat billy and turned it into steamboat willy. These types of incidents are too much and he went too far just for fame and money. but maybe it is just the way the game is played. But in my opinion the game needs to change because this artist went too far. Maybe he should of given a share of the profit to the person he stole the ideas from or in some way give credit where it should be given. In truth incidents like these need to be shared more broadly to the public so we can stand up and make a difference.

 In my own experience before Pandora or Spotify or even SoundCloud can out I downloaded, like many my generation did as well, songs illegally. I even remember my older sister illegally burning songs onto a CD with all my favorite songs for my birthday. To this day I watch movies and tv shows illegally on 123movies or letmewatchthis.com just because its cheaper and time saving and as a college student those are the two things I need more of.

My number one question is how much can one sample of a song or copyright piece before it is cause for a lawsuit? And is it just the rhythm or it is the phrase that can not be sampled. Or maybe both?

TOPIC 2:
I believe that one should have the right to speak there minds, just like what the first amendment gives each and every one of us. Which sadly, I have to say, includes the crazies in the world, such as the racist, the bigot or the sexist. No matter what context there are always the extremists. The ones that are the reasons why we need these strict guidelines because these extremists take it too far. Concerning what Wikileaks did I do not necessary believe it was bad for they just wanted to share what was kept from us. But how they went about with the information and how they shared it was not necessary the best way. But one can easily say it is there job to share the useful information that they obtain to gain followers, watchers as well as share with the public this fascinating hidden news.

I believe the freedom of speech act is what America, land of the free, is all about. It should not of been Wikileaks job to share this information because I believe the government should not of kept it from us in the first place. But in may ways the CIA, government, and any other organization that was behind this doing should not of been doing it if they were not going to share it with the public. I understand that the in many ways they spy on the American people looking for the extremists and crazies. To so called save the rest of us from them but in no way am I okay with them invading our privacy in the name of safety, or at least thats what they tell us it is for.

An example for say in the Wikileaks article I read it states, "Raytheon Blackbird Technologies acted as a kind of "technology scout." This is essentially a listening device for the phone. First question how did they get the right to listen to our phones. Yes I might understand in some twisted way that they might be doing this so they can potentially stop attacks or outbursts from happening. But as we are in America should it not be the peoples choice to allow this to undertake or be flushed down the drain like many other terrible ideas. In my opinion, and because I can legally share it with the world, it should be our (the American people) to decide if this invasion of privacy and to be honest so much more be worth possibly stopping something terrible. And just take a moment to realize how long this might of been going on for before it was leaked? Has it or has it not actually helped American people in any way other than invading our lives.

I am thick-skinned I do not let small minded people with negative views influence me. I also am passionate with what I believe in and love speaking my mind even if the odds are not for me or am surrounded with different view points. I step up to a challenge to debate and share my views on life. I believe it is anyones right to piss me off someone or to have someone piss you off with my views and beliefs. This is why America is so diverse and changing. People may get backlashed from stating and advocating there thoughts but it is the freedom of speech act that gives them a right to speak and be spoken to with out a filter. But we can not speak about something if we do not know it exists. That is why the access of information is just as important, if not more, than the freedom of free speech. And together, united, we can stand and make a change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Project #2

Week 3 Media Blog Forum

WEEK 6 MEDIA BLOG FORUM: